Windshield Repair and Replacement Questions New Jersey : NJ Payless Auto Glass

Copyright © 2015 NJ Payless Auto Glass. All rights reserved.

Windshield Repair and Replacement Questions New Jersey

by NJ Payless Auto Glass on 02/12/15

Windshield Repair and Replacement Questions

•How long will it take to replace my windshield glass?

The time it takes would depend on the make and model of your vehicle.  The average car or truck replacement windshield installation typically takes from 45 to 90 minutes
Installations that take longer than 90 minutes are what we classify as difficult installations that are is not practical to do in the field and do not qualify for our mobile on site service.  A difficult replacement windshield installation can take up to two highly experienced auto glass technicians working as a team from 2 to 6 hours to properly install a windshield when everything goes by the book. 
Two good examples would be a Toyota FJ Cruiser and an Audi A4 convertible.  Both of these vehicles require a significant amount of time to replace a windshield in as they must be meticulously done in stages working with the fragile difficult to access cowls, surrounding moldings and fastener parts that must be removed and replaced much reminiscent of a 2000 word jig saw puzzle. 

•Does my windshield really protect me?

If your windshield is installed properly it sure doe’s!  Auto manufacturers say your windshield provides up to 50 percent of the roof crush protection in a rollover accident. It also provides the backstop support for your passenger side air bag in a front end collision.  Your windshield is also designed as one of the main safety restraint systems in your vehicle. If your windshield were to pop out in a collision or rollover and you did not have your seat belt on or it were to fail you could be ejected from your vehicle
Important Windshield Safety Facts You Should Know!
10% of all accidents are vehicle rollovers that cause almost 11,000 annual fatalitiesoThe FMVSS 216 Standard says that a roof must sustain no greater than a 5” crush when one and a half times the vehicle weight is applied to the “A” pillaroVehicle occupants held inside the vehicle have a 25% greater chance of escaping injuryo75% of occupants ejected from their vehicles are fatalitiesoPassenger Airbags use your windshield for a backstop and can only function properly if the windshield remains in place during a crashClick the link at right to see a crash test video of your vehicles make and model.
My car has a interior rear view mirror that looks very complicated, Is it going to be an issue when I have NJ Payless Auto Glass replaces my windshield?
Most interior rear view mirrors of today look like something to be afraid of (and a few of them are) but the majority of them are just business as usual for the technicians at NJ Payless Auto Glass.

•How will my inspection, military base, state park, parking or toll stickers be handled?

In most cases our Auto Glass Technicians can transfer your windshield stickers to your new windshield.  If they cannot, as much of it as possible will be saved so that you can get it replaced. 
•How soon can I drive my car after my glass is replaced?
That will depend on the type of urethane adhesive used to install the auto glass in your vehicle. While most automotive grade urethanes rely on temperature and humidity to cure, the time required varies widely depending on the manufacturer.  This time frame can range from 1 to 24 hours or more before your vehicle will meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and is considered safe to drive.  If you need to drive your vehicle sooner, a more expensive chemically cured urethane can be used that will allow a 1 hour drive-away time.  In either case, it's imperative that you follow the manufacturers' instructions regarding safe drive away times.  Not adhering to those instructions could result in your injury or even death.  It is extremely important that the technician replacing your automotive glass explain to you when you are able to SAFELY drive your car.
•How soon can I wash my vehicle after my windshield is replaced?
You can hand wash your vehicle as long as you keep high pressure sprays of water well away from the windshield and moldings.  Water or rain on the new windshield installation isn't a problem at all, in fact the moisture actually helps the curing process of the urethane adhesive sealant. You should wait a minimum of 24 hours before washing your vehicle in a high pressure type of car or tuck wash.  A high pressure automatic car wash can damage the new windshield seal and outer mouldings before the urethane adhesive used in the new windshield installation has a chance to sufficiently cure. It's also important to leave at least one of the windows open at least 2 inches to reduce the pressurization in the vehicle when the doors are shut and when the heat or air conditioning is operated for 24 hours.  Having a window slightly open prevents the pressure build up from ambient heat on a hot day and the pressure the heater or air conditioner builds up inside the vehicle’s cabin from pushing a hole through the new uncured urethane seal, causing an air or water leak
After I have my windshield replaced, how do I know if it was done right?
You don't!  Without removing the windshield, it's impossible to tell if the windshield was prepped correctly, if critical primers and proper flash times were used, or even if the proper amount and type of urethane was used.  Once a windshield is installed all the critical installation preparation steps are hidden under the moldings and black ceramic band.  If it looks like a clean windshield, back glass or other type of auto glass installation and the moldings are lying correctly you can only guess it was done right and in reality those things are only cosmetic, it's what is underneath and when and how it was done during the replacement installation process that counts.  The only sure way to tell if a windshield or other type of auto glass is properly installed is to crash test it, but we sure don't recommend it

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

O.E.M. Quality                 LOW Prices                  Lifetime Warranty           FREE Mobile Service 

Free Mobile Service 

Auto glass replacement

  • Windshield
  • Door Glass
  • Back Windows
  • Vent Glass
  • Quarter Glass
  • Semi Truck Windshields

   Same Day Service

Phone : 908-494-6088 

Business Hours:
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.

call or text for free quote